Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Obama's ignauguration speech....


"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus-- and non- believers. We are shaped by every language and culture, drawn from every end of this Earth...".

I choose this section because I relate to 2 parts of this quote. First the christian part. I believe in Jesus and I base my personal life in that, and even though we all think that we are right and we wish that everyone else would believe in our own "religion", the truth is I don't see humanity going to the same church any time soon.
So when it comes to working as a team or building up a country spending time fighting about our believes is not a really smart thing to do. Obama describes our differences, and not only describes us as a nation, he describes us as a "diverse" nation. Not only because of our believes but when he talks about this country being "shaped" by different cultures.

I identify with the "culture" part of the speech because even though I was born here, I lived most part of my life in Mexico, and I know that my culture comes with me, and can be an influence to my American friends.

Now if we count the number of people that immigrate every day to this country and pay attention to the impact this people have to the American culture, will see how much it has change through the years.
When my dad was little he would eat "dinner" at 7:00pm, but when he grew up he married a Mexican women and even though he lives in the states, he eats his big meal, "dinner" at 3:00pm. Things in American life change, when a different culture comes in. The culture will never stay the same.
And Obama having an American Mother, African dad, and an Asian sister obviously understands cultures better than any other president.

No comments: