Thursday, May 28, 2009

Final Magazine Reflection.... (final take!)

What did you learn?
How did you learn in?
Why is this important?

I learned that simple and clear is Good.
In past writings I would always try to have a complex idea involved in my writing. I would make an easy and simple idea into a bunch of sentences that wouldn't make sense at all. I simply thought that the more I wrote the more random and weird ideas that I threw in to the article it would make it more interesting. But reading some of the articles that my partners wrote I noticed that the ones with the easiest words and simple ideas were the ones I felt more attracted to. The ones with "big words" and "complex ideas" that I didn't really understand I wouldn't finish reading. I realized that the simpler and easy to read that I kept my article the better would be. I think this is important because if I write exactly what I understand and know instead of writing of a bunch of ideas that I don't get, the easiest will be for the reader to get my message, after all that's what we write for, so that someone not only reads but gets and understands the message.

I learned that there should be more than one hook.
During the past lessons about writing that we've had with Randy the idea of having a hook in the headline or the first paragraph was mentioned so many times that I never realized that we needed something to "re catch" the attention at the conclusion. In other words that a piece of writing must finish strong too. I hearted so many times "leave the reader thinking about it". I now I get that this could be a really effective way. Create "hooks" at the final sentences too. Not to keep the reader reading , but thinking.

Oraginallity and creativity are necesary for an outstanding article.
I know writing clear and right to the point makes good articles, but adding a little bit of creativity to it can make it even better. I can't say I learned this by writing my article, truth is I don't know how to do this yet. But going through my partners work showed me that the most outstanding ones were the ones that had something that no one else did. The use of originality and maybe a little bit of humor can help a lot and can be a hook too. Two great examples to this are Wyatt Watt's article and Luke's Article.

I learned that structure can vary.
Even though good intro or a hook in the intro is always necsery it does'nt have to be the thesis that completes this. In past pieces of writting I would always have the thesis as the intro and explained it through out the rest of the body. But now I 've realized that I can explain the thesis through out the article just explainit well and "making the point" trough different ways of evidence. All of this with out making it dirty or confusing. Just focusing in one point and how to prove it.

I learned a lot in through this project. through the teaching, the writing of my article and the reading of other people's articles, it was all a great experiance.

No comments: